UPS Dynasty Cap Message Board

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Message Board for UPS Dynasty Cap

Latest topics

» Jameis Rookie Contract Extension
salary cap penalities Empty12/21/2017, 4:26 pm by Raining Bullets

» Gordon Extensions
salary cap penalities Empty11/27/2017, 3:45 pm by Raining Bullets

» New Guys Extension
salary cap penalities Empty11/27/2017, 3:36 pm by Raining Bullets

» C-Town Mid-Season Extension
salary cap penalities Empty11/27/2017, 3:32 pm by Raining Bullets

» Good inHood
salary cap penalities Empty11/27/2017, 3:30 pm by Raining Bullets

» Blake Bombers Contract Extensions
salary cap penalities Empty11/27/2017, 3:24 pm by Raining Bullets

» Cleon Cash
salary cap penalities Empty11/19/2017, 9:34 am by Raining Bullets

» Chivalry mid year multi
salary cap penalities Empty11/19/2017, 9:20 am by Raining Bullets

» UW Extension
salary cap penalities Empty11/15/2017, 4:24 pm by UlteriorWarrior

4 posters

salary cap penalities

Blake Bombers
    Blake Bombers

salary cap penalities Empty salary cap penalities

Post by Blake Bombers 8/2/2012, 7:19 pm

Putting up for debate the thought of increasing cap penalities for cutting a player. I feel the 20% is too low and it is too easy to get out of bad contracts. I thinkt the penalty should be 50% to really penalize a team for handing out a bad contract. Your thoughts?
    Raining Bullets
    Raining Bullets
    Admin

salary cap penalities Empty Re: salary cap penalities

Post by Raining Bullets 8/5/2012, 7:08 am

This is a good topic brought up by Blake. I can see his point although personally I think 50% is quite a bit. Keeping it reasonably priced allows the cuts so that we will see turnover during free agency auction. I had the most penalties this offseason...it cost me $24K which totally sucked because having those extra funds would have been nice.

However, 20% might be a little too cheap. I would not be opposed to a tiered based system...where once you reach a certain level of penalties, everything after that point gets penalized at say 35% and then maybe even a 3rd layer at 50%...sort of like the luxury tax in the mlb.

Thats my 2 cents
    Raining Bullets
    Raining Bullets
    Admin

Post by Raining Bullets 12/14/2012, 4:54 pm

This one was brought up by a bunch of people and probably deserves the most analysis. I have heard that the original Cap Hits of 20% are not tough enough. I have also heard that there should be a stiffer penalty for anyone deciding to cut a back-loaded player. Personally, I feel the 20% hit is a fair cap hit. Perhaps it could be raised to 25%. But I am not in favor of making it so bad on an owner that they do not want to come back. The key to this league is continuity and going through 5 new owners over the off-season is a lot of work and is not ideal. So for this I do not want to make it an absurd figure like 50%.
    With respect to the stiffer penalties for cutting a backloaded player, the argument is that players can load up and cut once the price gets too high and the resulting penalty is not enough. To make sense of this I need real life examples in order to compare apples to apples.

Ex: I sign a player to a 3 year $50K straight forward contract. Say I cut the player in year 3 I will be assessed a $10K cap hit and in essence I would have paid $110K for 2 years of service.
    Taking that same Salary and making it a back loaded deal would make it ($23K, $53K & $74K). If I cut the player in year 3 that will come with a $14.8K penalty. This would mean that you would have paid $90.8K for the 2 years of service. So therefore, the reality is you pay less for a player if you give a back loaded contract and then cut opposed to a straight forward deal. Does this make sense?
    So what should the penalties be? Well for it to be equal the penalty would need to be a $34K penalty to make the salaries both equal $110 for 2 years of service. This does make some sense. It is a fucking heft penalty for sure.

My only issue with something like this is that it needs to work both ways. For example if you sign a guy to a $50K 3 year front loaded deal, his contract would be ($75K, $51K & $24K). If the player is kept for the 1st 2 years of service he would have been paid $126K over 2 years. This is $16K more than the $110K. Therefore, should that owner then be given a $16K allowance should he feel the desire to cut him in year 3? In other words instead of a $300K Cap Limit he is given $316K??? I don’t like that but it should work both ways should it not?

This issue like I said received the most feedback during the season and I do not want to treat this issue lightly. Please provide alternative suggestions and/or feedback on this issue. This is certainly a tricky situation for sure. Maybe the suggestion is as simple as closing variance within the front/load vs. backload deals to make the salary changes less volatile. Again I am all ears on this one.
    C-Town Chivalry
    C-Town Chivalry

Post by C-Town Chivalry 12/14/2012, 9:17 pm

50% def absurd. I like the 20% number, but wouldn't be against 25% if people are clamoring for it.

For back loaded and front loaded contract:

If you cut backloaded, you should have to pay what it would have cost for 2 years standard, so take a penalty of whatever the difference is (what standard pay would have been MINUS what your contract paid) PLUS 20% of what the 3rd year would have been with a standard contract. Only way I can see being fair.

so in your analogy, standard 3 yr @50k each means you basically pay 100+10 for 2 years plus the penalty.
    If that's a backloaded deal, you would have paid 23+53=76 PLUS 24 (penalty) PLUS 10 more. I know this is exactly what you figured.

And if you drop on a front loaded deal, I would say you do the opposite, as you allude to. Get a BONUS of (what you paid MINUS what the standard contract would have paid) over the time you roster a player, but you still pay 20% penalty on what would have remained had it been a standard contract.

So you pay 75+51= 126K ..You want to drop this player, you pay 10K, but would get credited 26K, so you get 16K BONUS.

Again totally what you were saying, and I agree. Just had to put the numbers out there so I could see them in action.

I'm smellin what you're cooking...Only other thing would be to just not have front and backloaded deals if they cause too many headahces.

Raining Bullets
    Raining Bullets
    Admin

Post by Raining Bullets 6/1/2013, 8:34 am

So to summarize proposal here is we keep 20% cap hit. But for those Front and Back Loaded deals the cap hit is related to the what the cost would have been if it was a regular contract.

Example

Sign a guy for 2 yrs @ $50K= $100K

If you cut after yr 1 your cap hit is $10K and essentially you paid $60 for 1 yr of service.

If it was a 2 Yr back load ($35/$65) and you cut before year 2 the cap hit will be $25K so that way you paid $60 for the 1 year of service.

This works both ways. If you gave a front-load and you cut after year 2. You would have paid $65 for just 1 yr, so in this case you would receive a $5K credit.

So basically cap hits relate to a standard contract. It is pretty easy to follow looking at it this way.
    Raining Bullets
    Raining Bullets
    Admin

salary cap penalities Empty Loophole on Front/Backloads

Post by Raining Bullets 8/5/2013, 10:55 am

The recent loophole that was fixed in regards to backloaded contracts should be applied to players who are granted immunity for retirement/jail bird.

I was thinking about this when Tony G was nominated, I was going to give him a 3 yr backloaded deal, knowing full well he will retire at the end of the year. So while, you are granted immunity for the cap hit for retirement, I feel like the Loophole that applies to cap hits needs to be applied to these contracts as well. While you won't get a cap hit for the cut, you should still be responsible for the remainder of that player's 1st year salary.

Raining Bullets
    Raining Bullets
    Admin

Post by Raining Bullets 8/5/2013, 10:58 am

So lets say he finishes at $25K avg and you give a 3 yr back load.  that 1st year salary will end up being $11K.  If/When he retires, the owner will be hit with a $14K cap hit in order to pay off his 1st yr salary.  He is not however assessed the 20% on top of this.  

Otherwise you can totally circumvent the system here when we all know Tony G should retire at end of year.
    Wetter than Dutch Dikes
    Wetter than Dutch Dikes
    Admin

Post by Wetter than Dutch Dikes 8/5/2013, 6:19 pm

should retire? Show the man some freakin respect.
    Raining Bullets
    Raining Bullets
    Admin

Post by Raining Bullets 8/5/2013, 6:51 pm

that was a poor choice of words. I should have said he most likely will retire. However, I did show him respect with actually bidding him up to a respectable price level, the rest of you fools were going to let him walk for an atrocious $19,000
    Blake Bombers
    Blake Bombers

Post by Blake Bombers 8/6/2013, 10:18 am

Agreed that needs to be fixed for this exact situation where Gonzalez is a free agent and likley retiring after this year. Need to avoid being able to save at least $10k on cap by signing to the backloaded deal.
    Raining Bullets
    Raining Bullets
    Admin

Post by Raining Bullets 8/18/2013, 8:16 am

This rule was passed so that the loophole w. front/backloads were closed

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 8:21 am